Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Alfie-The Crying Boy

I love this print by J. Bragolin, the cute face reminds me of my little boy after his sister has "hurt my feelings". I found it being chucked out in the hard rubbish, and put it up in Charlie's room. He would often ask me why the little boy was sad, and I would say "he misses his mummy."
But apparently the Crying children paintings are "cursed" and many people won't have them in the house. I first heard about this when I wanted to buy the matching Crying girl in a op-shop. The urban myth connected to the pictures goes like this... sorting through the debris of many house fires, firemen would often find these paintings untouched by the flames, and thus, these Crying boy pictures are "blamed" for the fires. No fireman will ever own one!
Well, the picture has come down off the wall now. Not because I'm superstitious, its just one less "spooky" thing for Charlie to blame when he won't go to bed.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea these were cursed. My Grandma had one hanging above the bed in her spare room. I did used to freak me out a bit when I was a kid. Maybe it was my 6th sense.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! It's very nice to receive your comment. I'll go and visit you too.