Saturday, June 27, 2009

Drowning in a sea of Craft.....

Firstly, a BIG thank you to Nikki for hosting a lovely bloggers morning tea yesterday. It was fun talking craft with some very creative women in Nikki's ACE studio. I came away inspired , but also left with the feeling that if you haven't found your niche or creative pathway, you could easily drown in the sea of craft markets, magazines, blogs and online shops, not to mention the social networking sites that swirl around like miniature Bermuda triangles, sucking you into their vortex.
I'd like to do a few markets this year, but am swamped with the choice. Everyone I've spoken to has a differing view point regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the numerous Craft markets in Melbourne. So if you have some advice, please let me know! (especially about Magnolia Square!!!!).
Now it's a well known fact that if you like to be crafty , you should start a blog to document your "journey" and share with other like minded people. Great, but I sometimes feel I'm floundering in a sea of blogs that I don't have time to read. And I really like reading them, but know I should be doing a million other things instead, so feeding the kids will usually get preference! Oh, and Betty Jo stuff of course.
The magazine thing is another problem. I would love to buy them all. So setting aside a bit of time to flick through the most inspiring ones in a good newsagent usually turns out to be my best option!
How does everyone else "manage " their crafty worlds? I've never been one for following formulas, so my random, do what I can do at the time approach is the way I go about it. And I haven't even mentioned the looming issue of updating my Etsy shop. Ahhhggg.

7 comments:

  1. I've always been in awe of how you manage to successfully run your business and your family and keep everyone stocked in gorgeous Betty Jo creations.
    I've been to Magnolia Square once as a shopper .- I probably wouldn't return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be very interested to see what advice this post draws. Like you I'm also pondering market opportunities for the year. As for blogging I'm trying to just go with the flow. Magazines are perfect for snatching 5 minutes of down time in between chores or for scheduling a long hot bath. I don't have kids in the equation though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh the time?
    there is never enough, I am usually awake to 12 o'clock at night and yes sometimes later...
    as a result i am not a morning person...between the pub,kids,home schooling and just life...
    I get about 2 hours crafting if i am lucky and thats when all the kids are asleep...
    i should spend those 2 hours or so ironing, cleaning and organizing but i don't i want to craft and that's just it...in a nut shell...
    I don't know what it would be like not to have a hobby...pretty darn quiet i suspect...
    and yes i would love to get more time to read everyones blogs and even find some new ones but like you I am really trying to cram the hours in as it is...
    those darn kids and needing to be feed...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Tinniegirl's go with the flow answer re: blogging.
    Markets - can't help u there seeing as u live in another state! (but if u ever want to fly this way...)

    as of the rest of it... if u find the answer let ALL of us know!!!

    God I love that owl clock in the top pic - awesome!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I wish I knew the secret formula for fitting everything in, I'm still trying to juggle it all, making sure the family gets fed e.t.c The first thing to get pushed aside is housework. I feel like I'm always playing catch up. One day....one day I'll have it all figured out! well here's hopin anyway. I'll be sure to share when I do. Re: markets, the sisters in Brunswick is the best one for me. Cheers, Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's probably more common than not that "housework" gets very neglected in our lives.
    I don't think there's a magic cure for this....except hiring a cleaner. I WISH!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! It's very nice to receive your comment. I'll go and visit you too.