Friday, April 9, 2010

My Comfort Zone

As I was sitting stitching my Re*Sew*Cool donkey at the Northern Craft Bonanza last night, feeling a bit clumsy and amateurish compared to the nifty sewers surrounding me, Tinnie Girl commented "you're out of your comfort zone Liz". Kind of right. But it wasn't always true.
I used to love sewing and textile art, but as my creativity developed, they took a back seat and jewellery making pushed forward.
I feel comfortable working in this medium, and I guess when you're comfortable , you are confident in your ability and are willing to be more inventive and adventurous.
A few days ago I had one of those inventive moments when "BING" the light bulb clicked on.
It always seems to happen in the early hours of the morning and, once that switch is on, nothing can turn it off.
This plan for a Betty Jo event is only in it's childhood stage at the moment ( there's a hint right there), but it will involve time, a Curious Little Oyster, teapots and cake and references to the nonsensical tea parties from "Alice in Wonderland" and the "Folk of the Faraway Tree".With a big nod to the stunning paintings by Charles Blackman in this book my Mum has lent me.Now this will be a fun way to step out of my comfort zone!
Have you stepped out of your comfort zone lately?

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm how intriguing. Just what are you up to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the word intriguing....I think I would have to check the spelling first before I wrote it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've been working the opposite way lately. I've been stepping into my comfort zone and focusing my energy there. Comfort zones aren't always a bad thing at all.

    Can't wait to see what comes out of your latest stretching. And as always, it was lovely to sit and chat with you last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh, I think this is going to be very exciting...

    I think I could do with a step outside the comfort zone sometimes.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the clash that happens when you are so comfortable, and then you step outside that comfort zone. It's nice to challenge yourself at times.

    Love the idea of the childhood exhibit! I think tea parties is a perfect theme. I always remember playing tea parties with my dolls and my little china cups. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know Blackman illustrated Alice in Wonderland?!!! I have GOT to get my hands on a copy of that book, amazing!
    as for this Betty Jo event, sounds very interesting, a nice mix of themes, I look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! It's very nice to receive your comment. I'll go and visit you too.