Monday, March 11, 2013

Are You P-Interested?

I'm  having a bit of a flash back right now. I hopped on Pinterest for the first time in yonks yesterday and found the Bird O' Paradise I'd made several years ago was pinned like crazy as inspiration by Quilting folk. Does this look like a quilt to you? I guess it might if you had never heard of lino being used in artwork before. Same thing with the parrot below. 
Maybe I've missed my calling and I should be designing quilts?????
I also saw some direct pins from this blog of my designs on to quite a few boards with titles such as "DIY" or "Ideas....things I might try to do". 
I had a bit of a rant over on my Facebook page about it, but quite frankly, although it irks me that people don't give a hoot about their intentions to copy ( even if it never actually happens), I'm not that fazed as my work is quite hard to replicate.You'd be surprised how many people look at my work in the flesh and still can't tell what it's made of! 

So what are your experiences of Pinterest? Does it give you the irrits or are you totally into it? Do you link every image to it's source and credit the artists whose work you love who are trying to make a living from their designs? And maybe even send some business their way!!!

6 comments:

  1. Well Liz, I was having a bit of a rant about this very thing just the other day. I've only just started exploring pinterest (so far just a page of guitars I wish I had!) but I have noticed many people with items from etsy pinned on their "to do" or "d.i.y" page. It's obvious by how blatantly they do it that they have no quallms about copying these things for themselves. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess, even though I am inspired by awesome makers in internet land, I'm the type of person that will bend over backwards to find out if my ideas have already been done. As for intending to copy someone else's work....oh the horror!

      Delete
    2. Yes I know - I wonder if the "pinners" think that because they are not intending to make something for commercial purposes that it's somehow olay? But you know - I've even seen people who do intend to make something and sell it. I've also seen pinterest pages with a pinned idea from someone else and then seen it for sale by the pinner!!! No shame at all!

      Delete
  2. I don't get pinterest at all.
    I even had someone post a photo of my bunting (which they'd found via google images) in their IG feed this week as if it was theirs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheesh, Now instagram. I hope you left a terse comment telling the culprit not to appropriate your work Cam.If you haven't, point me in their direction and I'll write something using my "Teacher" voice!

      Delete
  3. I rather like Pinterest although my interest is beginning to wane. I use it to pin rather than re-pin although sometimes I look at what other pinners have put up. Copying is flattery but I do think that when the thing you want to copy is another personssource of income you should be very wary about crossing the lines of intellectual theft. Inspiration is much better than copying. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete

Hi! It's very nice to receive your comment. I'll go and visit you too.